Viaje de Amor en Ingles

(A Journey of Love)

Monday, June 20, 2011

Hammock and a Phils Game

After the worship service ended yesterday, there were a number of Dads that greeted me.  The greeting was a firm handshake, the greeting of "Happy Father's Day", and then the question, "So what are you doing this afternoon?"  For me the answer was a big question.  The girls had something planned but they were keeping it a surprise.  I simply would answer, "I don't know the girls are keeping it a surprise, but I hope it involves a hammock and the Phils game."  Ariana and Alexa planned a meal for me - Bar B Que ribs, Macaroni and Cheese, Fries, and salad, with peanut butter & chocolate cake for dessert.  They did a great job with the meal.  Afterward, we enjoyed some family game time - they even let me win.  I did have the opportunity to watch the end of the Phillies game - at least I had the opportunity to win a game, which is more than I can say for the Phils.  As the girls cleaned up from dinner, I hung the hammock between two trees, closed my eyes, and woke up two hours later when Alicia asked me if I was just planning to stay outside all night.  I enjoyed the afternoon, and I was pretty excited that it included a hammock and the Phils game.

My prayer as I continue on this journey called life, is that I would continue to grow in Christ-likeness, and that I would understand more and more what it means to love my wife as Christ loved the church (Eph. 5:25).  I pray that my girls will grow in their love for God, and their desire to be like Christ in all ways.  I have found it interesting that I have a lot of the fears and doubts that I experienced anticipated fatherhood when I was waiting for the birth of my first child.  I have grow used to being the father of two young women in their early teens - how will I do as the father of a little one again?  May the Lord give me the wisdom and the grace to walk this journey again.

To all the dads out there who read this post - Happy Father's Day! (even if it is a day late)  Fix your eyes on our Heavenly Father, follow Him and let your children follow you!

No comments:

Post a Comment